Wednesday, July 4, 2007

30 June - Dalton Highway to Coldfoot

30 June.
Dalton Highway at last!








We're all going our separate ways today. Doug suggested I lighten the load by leaving surplus at his place and by the time I split my packing and buy a few things, it's 12:30 before I'm on the road. I decided to get a second jerrycan so I have 2 gallons spare. Leaving Fairbanks, I spot a mobile home down the bank on the side of the road. Now that's one shed load!

Tooling along, I've been catching glimpses of the pipeline for a while, but now I'm beginning to see large runs of it. Each support is topped by a radiator running ammonia pipes into the ground because the pipeline heats the ground and they need to avoid thawing the permafrost.





Radiators on the pipeline carriers







I ran into the inevitable road construction and was chatting with the flag lady while waiting for the pilot truck. She mentioned both stops between there and Coldfoot have run out of gas. Just as well I filled the cans - I'd been carrying the one can empty until now.





Miles of dirty and dusty - yes, that's more of it on the far hill!




...but the chain is still lubed - yay for empirical engineering




Finger Rock - a natural formation that points to Fairbanks several hundred miles away.


After what seemed like an eternity, I made it to the Arctic Circle. Had a bit of fun figuring out how to use the camera self timer as I was completely alone, and who needs stinking instructions anyway.



I'm really happy I am!




Landmarks everywhere


Made Coldfoot by 8:30. It's an old work camp and truckers still stop there, as well as tours and individual travellers. It's pretty much the only show in town, so a bit expensive. I met up with a few people on their way back from Prudhoe Bay and got talking to Jeff and Jay from San Francisco. Jay has taken a few advanced riding courses and happens to own Freddy Spencers VFR 800 (no, he wasn't riding it on the Dalton!) He tells me I can come to SanFran and ride it anytime, time to get another contract!







Time on the road, 8 1/2 hours, 407k, 66.92/53.2mpg imperial/US (best 72/59.4). About 150k of unsealed road, one stretch of 130k with only 2km of tarmac. No real drama, just care required on the new construction.

No comments: