Wednesday, July 4, 2007

3 July - Coldfoot to Fairbanks


3 July
Coldfoot to Fairbanks

In the morning I spent a bit of time talking to fellow travelers and discussing bikes, roads and weather. One bloke I talked to was on a Harley and managed to break both his rear shocks on the way into Coldfoot. The Fairbanks Harley shop didn’t have any replacements and were looking into aftermarket shocks, and then there was the problem of getting them to Coldfoot, I hope it works out OK for him.

I got on the road at about 10:00 and spent the day passing and being passed by Todd and family. It’s weird being on such a lonely road and meeting up with the same people all the time.




Looking back from the approach to Atigun Pass, the end of the tundra






Looking to Atigun Pass


The Gates of the Arctic – National Park







Fireweed, so called because it’s the first thing to grow back after a forest fire. The colours are really coming out now it’s July.



I crossed the Yukon River and managed to get a few pictures this time.






The mighty Yukon River



Yukon River bridge. This is about a 7% grade, bit dicey with the wooden surface complete with wood potholes.



Passing again through the Arctic Circle, I stopped off at the Arctic Trading Post and had a break and picked up a few souvenirs. Later on, I reached the end of the Dalton Highway and the pavement again.





The pavement was FUN!




Filthy bike.



I got to Doug’s just after 18:00.

Time on the road, 8 ½ hours
435 km

approximately 73/60 mpg imp/US

No comments: