Wednesday, July 4, 2007

2 July - The Tundra

2 July
The Arctic Tundra

I’ve had a significant lift in spirits since I left Deadhorse. It’s one of those things where a primary goal has actually been reached after years of planning and plotting and overcoming minor and major bulls**t to get there. The weather as been good to me, and I’m grateful for that, but strangely I found myself enjoying the landscape far more than on my way up. Probably something to do with having survived all the issues I was dreading about this road.


Truly the middle of nowhere




Galbraith Lake



The tundra is just the most beautiful place to be. I spent a lot more time stopping off and just soaking in the lonely, desolate, achingly beautiful magnificence of it all. 90% of visitors to Prudhoe Bay fly in and have no idea of the road or the surrounding countryside, and I think that’s a real shame, because you get no sense of the real tundra at all from Deadhorse.

If you get the chance to get here - grab it with both hands!

No comments: